MEMORIAL PLAYING FIELD, BEAMINSTER
The Memorial Playing Fields, a seven acre site in the centre of Beaminster, incorporates a sports pavilion, a cricket square, senior and junior football pitches and a children’s Play Area. The land for the playing fields, which was originally an orchard, was given to the Town in the middle 1950’s, for use as a permanent open space to enable sporting and recreational facilities to be enjoyed by the local community. The overall responsibility of maintaining the playing fields and its facilities rests with the Beaminster town Council.
The Beaminster Football Club, which was formed in 1894, its youth section and girl’s teams, use the football pitches, and have done since moving there in the 1950’s, from its original ground at Parnham, and the Cricket Club, which was established in 1855, have played cricket in the Memorial Playing Fields for the past 40 years. Until recent years, the Beaminster Ladies Hockey Club played their games in Beaminster but due to the need to play on an all weather pitch moved to Bridport in the early part of this century. Furthermore, Beaminster Playgroup, which erected a small building adjacent to the sports pavilion in 1984, where offered enlarged premises in the local St Mary’s Primary School, and relocated in 2008.
The new pavilion is managed by the Beaminster Community Centre Partnership on behalf of the local community. This facility, which will also be available to local organisations, has been made possible by considerable financial support not only from the Town Council but also from the Football Foundation, West Dorset District Council, and equally important as a result of funding raised by Beaminster Cricket and Football Clubs.